Sunday, December 2, 2007

Week 4 – The Results

Weight: 94.5 kilos


Yup, nothing changes. My weight stayed exactly the same and the truth is to me it is like water off a ducks back. Well how could I feel down when I am now running more than I am walking? Yes you read correctly. We have now entered the second part of our training program that takes us from running and walking an equal amount of time to running for the full 30 minutes and then on to 2 miles. So how can I be blue about a few kilos when I can see true progress being made in my running distance and ability? Besides my tight jeans are now no longer tight; in fact they are pretty loose around my legs and bottom.

The thing bothering me at the moment is the reason that I am doing this. I mean I never talk about colon cancer in my blog, so how can I be spreading awareness when I am not talking about it. Even my dad is telling perfect strangers that his two daughters are running a marathon to lose weight!

So how do I change this gross misrepresentation of my intentions and my goal for this run? Well I could get in contact with my local Colo-rectal cancer society, but try as I may I cannot find one. It got me thinking…

When my friends go travelling they do their research. How? They get themselves a copy of the Rough Guide to the country they are planning on going to, they go and look on the Lonely Planet website and find people with the travel bug like themselves. They can even search the country and find many links to local guides and information about the country. But someone with cancer trying to find out information… well where do they go?

When I Googled Colon Cancer I got the general information about the Cancer, the causes, the symptoms, the treatments, but there is no section on ‘I have colon cancer so what should I do now?’ The truth is the more I read the more I realise that the experts have no clear answer to that question as more and more research is done on the disease and newer and newer treatments are emerging.

This is both positive and worrying to me as in there are clearly developments being made, but what is happening now on the ground for people battling it now? Where is the Rough Guide to dealing with Cancer?

On my run I thought about what it would be like if there was a central website that connected all continents, all forms of cancer and all those who suffer with it. I am now wondering if and how I could make this happen…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey love my family have been looking at cancerbackup.org.uk. check it out its pretty good from what i've seen. if you need any other i can ask my bro if he knows of any as he has been working in cancer drugs stuff.
hope you're ok. the blog is great and you're fab for doing it!

i miss you lots

love debbie xxxx

Anonymous said...

I am very proud of you. I did my first 30 minute walk today in your honor. I huffed and pupped around the Mall with my new running shoes on (Brooks Addiction 7). Supposedly they are good for my collapsing arches! I am exhausted and now goiung to bed! Sweet dreams, kisses, xxxx
Marilyn

IsraLuv said...

there are social networking sites being build right now to create a support network for those afflicted with or by a disease.

when i have the names of the sites...i'll let you know~!