Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Fat Girl Running

So while everyone else has been eating their Chanukah doughnuts I have been training as if everything is normal. It is pretty pathetic when you decide to treat yourself and the best you can do is a tuna fish sandwich and a tiny piece of chocolate without feeling the guilt, but I guess I should be grateful for it in some way.

Anyway today was a good workout day. I felt pretty good running on the treadmill today, well I did have a great view to distract me. (Note to oneself time to switch sides of the gym to run on. The far side definitely has the better view…). In addition, my best friend showed up half way through my workout, and although I have restricted my running to either with my sister or alone (that is if no-one is spying on me) because I am still shy of running in front of others, I realised that it is actually nice to run with someone you know next to you. Although, I do find it hard to run and talk at the same time on the treadmill without feeling like I am about to fall off.

After the run I went home and as I place my dinner of lemon and garlic chicken on the table and began flicking channels, I came across a documentary that really caught my eye. In 2003 James Peak, an overweight self proclaimed slob, decided to lose weight by running the London Marathon. He set himself 5½ months to get in enough shape and run the full Marathon. His video diary is a hilarious look at what it is for someone who has no fitness to set a goal such as this and struggle through the lack of beer, fags and curry (all very important to the average English male) and get to the finish line. I was astounded to watch his documentary, aptly named Fat Man Running, as he not only finished with a painful knee, but he finished in 4¾ hours, beating Frank Bruno by 200 yards! Some achievement by anyone’s standards I think.

Since I watched it, I have spent the last few hours searching for this man on the internet and facebook, but sadly this man seems to only have made one documentary and then disappeared back into obscurity. Shame, because I would have loved to talk to him about his training. Anyway even though I could not find him, I hope somewhere out there, perhaps in London, he is reading this and enjoys the shameless plug I am giving him and I want to say that it is nice to see I am not the only nutcase on this planet. Please do check out this link and watch the videos. I promise you, if I don’t inspire you to get off your arse and run, then he will!

3 comments:

aL said...

Hello, I'm NOT James Peak, but I was doing a google search looking for more information about him and found your blog. Hahaha...

Anyway, it's three years since your post, but I am currently training for my own first marathon and I found "Fat Man Running" to be a HUGE inspiration from the first time I saw it on Lime (a now-defunct television station) a few years ago, probably around the time you saw it.

Back then, I did a quick google search and saw that he actually created an account and responded to some people on an Australian chat forum. Apparently as of a few years ago, he and Jane got married and had a baby, but he had yet to run another marathon.

At this point, I just wish I could find a copy of this great little documentary somewhere for sale! The only place I can find any of it is on a comcast streaming site, where you can see almost the entire film in 4-minute chunks with the second 4-minute chunk missing.

Anonymous said...

You can get the dvd on Noisy Planet - I'm a teacher and we use it in school

aL said...

Hi Anon! Do you think Noisy Planet would sell the DVD to a non-educator that doesn't have a UK or Ireland address? It seems like that's who they sell to...

Thanks for any info!