Monday, November 19, 2007

Words of Wisdom

After my meltdown on Sunday night I sent a very bitter and upset email to my nutritionist asking for some wise words to keep me going. The next day the following email was in my inbox, which I would like to share with you all as it keeps me going… and maybe there are those of you out there who could do with some words of wisdom to keep you going… just like me.

Channah Boo
Sorry you are feeling so sad...here come some words of wisdom :-)

  • A change in diet (esp. an increase in fibre) can be painful in the short term as your body adapts; that is not a reason to return to old ways but to understand that we spend years messing our bodies up so we need to pay the consequences as they return to their natural ways. I've SOOOO been there!
  • Bloating, retained fluid and poo can add lots of weight. The best way to judge progress is if you clothes are getting looser over time; weighing scales are a big silly for women. Once you feel your bowels are empty, weigh yourself again. I always tell my eating disorder clients that +/- 2-3kgs's doesn't count so much. Where are you in your cycle?
  • Don't berate yourself for boohooing on the jog; pat yourself on the back for going on the jog and NOT sitting in eating cookies!
  • More on the body and how we abuse it: Doesn't it appear comical that we treat ourselves like crap and expect our body to continue working, yet when we suddenly decide we are going to be all healthy, and it doesn't obey, we get upset??? GIVE IT A CHANCE! This situation is YEARS in the making so will take months of roller-coasting to improve. Most of the time you'll see the results you want, but sometimes the universe will send you challenging results to test you and see how committed you really are. YOU SHOW THEM CHANNAH! You are doing this primarily for health and the weight loss is the cherry on the cake!
  • It's ok not to feel happy right now. Be sad. But don't abuse yourself. Green tea is an excellent choice and let me just shout from the rooftops the benefits of gallons of peppermint tea for whipping out the poos and farts!
  • You may have a few weeks of intermittent weird gas ahead of you; I promise promise promise it will ease up. Your gut muscles are trying to regain their tone after a long period of lower fibre diet and inactivity!


With muchos love, pats on the back and a dose of keep-it-up

D XXX

No comments: